Become a Fellow of IFSO (FIFSO)
Special recognition to an IFSO surgeon regular member in good standing, that has an active practice in the field of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery and maintains participation in educational activities offered by IFSO.
- Applicant has to be a Regular IFSO member in good standing for the last 3 years
- Applicant has to have an active practice of Metabolic and Bariatric surgery in his/her Country documenting completion of a minimum of 25 approved Metabolic/Bariatric surgeries per year for the last 3 years as primary surgeon.
- Two letters of recommendation from IFSO Regular Members in good standing (with FIFSO status preferably) who practice in the same Country of the Applicant including:
- a. Length of time known the Applicant
- b. Statement on the applicant’s good standing practice in Metabolic/Bariatric Surgery
Please note that letters of recommendation can be submitted only using this form.
- Have attended either two IFSO World Congresses or one World and one Chapter Congress in the last 3 years, and have presented and/or submitted at least one scientific communication (as invited speaker or an abstract) during the last 3 years.
Proof of attendance (certificate of attendance) has to be provided by the applicant.
Proof of presentation/abstract submission has to be provided by the applicant.
- Work in a Country whose national society contributes to the IFSO Registry and/or to the IFSO Worldwide Survey on Metabolic/Bariatric Surgery.
- The applicant should not be Industry/Corporate executive, employee or doing active dedicated work with a single corporation
The designation may be withdrawn prior to the end of the three year term in the event that one/more mandatory requirements are not met anymore, or in the event the Member is found to have falsified data.
The FIFSO status is renewable every 3 years providing the following:
- a. Maintenance of IFSO Regular membership in good standing for the last 3 years
- b. Documentation of active practice as stated above in #2 for the last 3 years
- c. Documentation of attendance to IFSO Congresses as stated above in #4 for the last 3 years
The FIFSO status initial application is free of charge. Renewal applications every 3 years cost is $100 USD
Senior IFSO members retired/not practicing who apply will receive exception to active practice participation requirements and will have to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis to document that:
- a. Was a regular member in good standing for a significant time
- b. Was practicing in the field of Metabolic/Bariatric Surgery for several years
- c. Should not be Industry/Corporate executive, employee or doing active dedicated work with a single corporation
Honorary FIFSO - IFSO Board of Trustees members and other merited retired/not practicing senior members, by the decision of the Executive Board, can be recognized with the special status of “Honorary Fellow of IFSO” [ FIFSO (Hon)]
- Should not be Industry/Corporate executive, employee or doing active dedicated work with a single corporation
The IFSO secretariat will do the first check of the requirements and submit to FIFSO committee, which will review all applications on a regular basis and decide.
FIFSO certificates, signed by the IFSO President, will be sent by email.
IFSO Chapters should not establish the status of FIFSO, because FIFSO is a prerogative of IFSO and can't be replicated at Chapter level.