Are You a Candidate
There are a number of widely accepted criteria which make a patient suitable for Bariatric or weight loss surgery:
- BMI > 40 by itself or >35 if there is an associated obesity complications , such as diabetes or sleep apnoea
- Reasonable attempts at other weight loss techniques
- Age 18-65
- No drug dependency problems
- A capacity to understand the risks and commitment associated with the surgery.
- Pregnancy not anticipated in the first year following surgery
There is considerable flexibility in these guidelines. Patients as young as 12 have been offered surgery. Sometimes a lower BMI between 30-35 is accepted if patients have difficult to control diabetes.