European Chapter (including Middle East and parts of Africa)
During the year 2004, the IFSO-European Chapter was unofficially founded during several personal meetings of leading European bariatric surgeons. At the IFSO European Symposium in Prague in 2004, the main goals and future activities of the Chapter were formulated. The Chapter has subsequently been officially approved by the Executive Council of IFSO at the IFSO World Congress in Maastricht, the Netherlands, in 2005. IFSO-EC is an integral part of IFSO, acting in alignment with the bylaws and other official documents of IFSO. Among the main tasks and strategies of IFSO-EC are:
- A special focus and interest in bariatric activities in Europe, where the enormous European scientific potential can be used as an important force for the development of bariatric surgery.
- Coordination of scientific collaboration amonh various national European (and other) bariatric surgical organizations at the European level.
- Collaboration with the official authorities of the European Union (e.g. European Parliament, EU Council, etc.), national governmental organizations and other international organizations, such as the WHO, on awareness and prevention of obesity and treatment pathways.
- Organization and coordination of broad European bariatric scientific activities, such as European bariatric congresses, national meetings, etc.
- Collaboration with non-surgical obesity-focused organizations, such as EASO, IOTF and relevant patient advocacy groups.
- Collaboration with European payor / health-care provider organizations on the health economics, safety and effectiveness of bariatric surgery.
- The current President 2016-2018 of IFSO-EC is Prof. Michel Suter from Switzerland. The Executive Director is Dr. Martin Fried from Czech Republic. The Members at Large is Dr. Jean-Marc Chevallier from France. The Honorary President is Professor Nicola Scopinaro from Italy.
President: Gerhard Prager
Member at Large: Nicola di Lorenzo
Visit the new European Chapter’s page
Societies of the European Chapter up to June 2017.